Friday, September 4, 2009

What might Celtic prayers look like today?


I love Celtic prayers because they are so earthed in reality. The Celts had prayers for ordinary everyday tasks like milking the cow or lighting the fire etc. The prayer, Smooring the Fire is a particular favourite of mine and so I was keen to include it in Celtic Treasure.

Smooring the Fire
The Sacred Three
To save,
To surround
The hearth,
The household,
This eve,
This night,
Oh! this eve,
This night,
And every night,
Each single night.
Amen.
(Carmina Gadelica)

I wonder what the equivalent prayers might be today? Maybe, the prayer of having a shower, putting the central heating on, driving my car, going to work, doing emails. It sounds funny to us today, but there is a lot to be said for developing such an attitude of thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message: